Hi, friends! Happy Monday to you!
Today I wanted to share with you a review of my most recent Sephora PLAY! box. Sephora PLAY! is a monthly subscription box that is similar to Birchbox. Each month you receive 6 beauty samples based on a profile that you setup on Sephora.com. Your profile tells them your hair and skin type and specific concerns (dry skin/hair or anti-aging, for example).
I’ve had a subscription since last July after spending several months on the wait list, and trying out Birchbox in the meantime. Other than one perfume, I wasn’t super impressed with the samples I received in Birchbox. However, I have really loved PLAY! since switching. Sephora sends you samples that you can literally pick up in person in their stores — something I really like.
In 2016, my New Year’s resolution was to learn more about makeup – which is why I decided to signup for subscription boxes. So far, I have learned so much! My beauty routine is pretty low-key, and was before 2016, but I’ve started using a few new products in the past year that I think make a big difference.
This month’s PLAY! box was titled “The Soft Side: Make a Radiant Understatement”. Coming in a gorgeous silk bag (though I still haven’t figured out a use for these bags), I was excited about this box as soon as I saw the theme… this is exactly my beauty style!
Muted, mellow shades and skin-perfecting formulas are a never-fail way to show off your natural beauty. From a romantic lip color to a radiance-boosting eye cream, add definition and just a hint of drama with this month’s subtle-yet-stunning lineup of makeup and skincare.
Upon opening the box, I was pumped. Everything in it was exactly me. I usually like at least a couple of items, but I thought I might end up liking everything in this box.
The goods and my first impressions:
- Clinique Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer: A lightweight, oil-free moisturizer-meets-primer instantly blurs imperfections while providing all-day hydration for a silky, soft-focus finish. I had super high hopes for this box. I’m still debating purchasing a full size primer I received in a previous box, but this being a moisturizer + primer in one seemed perfect. Unfortunately, my first use didn’t really give me the “blur” as promised. I’m going to continue using this, but as of right now I don’t plan on buying the full size.
- NARS Velvet Lip Glide in Bound: A nude-pink, stay-all-day liquid lipstick that applies easily and leaves a semi-matte finish with a silky feel. Nude-pink? Stay-all-day? Semi-matte? SIGN ME UP! I’ve gotten a few glosses before, but none have been ideal colors for wearing to work (none of my colleagues wear lipstick to work, so I’ve wanted something subtle that doesn’t look like I’m trying to hard). Even better, NARS is a great brand! I’m a big fan of my NARS blush, so I know the quality of their products. Anyway, yes I love this!! I can see myself buying the full size version in the future. It’s the perfect nude color with just a hint of shine and color – perfect for work! Also, it felt moisturizing which is good for my super chapped lips that crack easily.
- Sephora Lashcraft Length & Volume Mascara: A jet-black volumizing mascara with an innovative flat paddle-shaped wand to lengthen and lift lashes. So far I like this mascara. I’m a Diorshow lover (waterproof specifically!), but since that waterproof mascara doesn’t come off easily at night I’ve been considering something non-waterproof. It lengthens and plumps, but I need to keep testing it out because I think it might be clumping pretty easily… so stay tuned!
- Too Faced Lip Injection Glossy in Milkshake: Sheer tinted gloss uses a botanical-infused formula to visibly plump lips instantly while also hydrating and softening overtime. Everything about this gloss sounds really cool. As the directions stated, it definitely made my lips tingle for the first few minutes… so possibly plumping? I have pretty full lips regardless, but the softening aspect and small plumping ability sounded intriguing. I don’t love the color – it’s a little too “white shimmery” – but I can see myself laying the NARS lipstick on top of it. Another stay tuned based on if I see any improvements after a few days of usage!
- Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream: A luminous eye cream infused with coffee beans, ginseng, and magnolia extract to visibly brighten and depuff the undereye area. Okay, so I have to admit I’ve never had any issues with undereye puffing – but I do have chronic dark circle that I’ve covered with concealer for years (!!). It promises anti-aging benefits (which I’m trying to be proactive about) and the brightening sounded super intriguing. I definitely think it brightens a bit. I’d like to see if I can tell the difference in the mirror at work (I don’t really assess my appearance on the weekend!) before deciding to purchase a full size of this.
- Marc Jacobs Divine Decadence: This perfume has floral perfume smells good, but not good enough to purchase a full size bottle of. Receiving perfume samples is the least exciting part of any PLAY! box, but I thought it was fun to try the perfume of a nice brand like Marc Jacobs!
I’ll let you guys know if I end up buying the full size of any of these! Super excited to play with these this work week. 🙂